The sales department plays a critical role in the success of any business organisation. The primary responsibility of a sales personnel is to bridge the gap between potential customers and the company by selling the right product or service. This, in turn, brings revenue to the company and keeps the organisation competitive in the market.
A sales executive can be an excellent career choice if you have a liking for selling things and talking to people. As a sales executive, you would play a vital role in driving the company’s sales. You must use various strategies and tactics to contribute to sales growth and identify new prospects to boost sales.
As a sales executive, you would be a direct representative of the company and being at the forefront and facing the customers directly, you must have persuasive skills. You must also be well-versed with the organisation’s ideologies and convey the same in the right manner to the prospective customers.
What do sales executives do?
The roles and responsibilities of sales executive jobs may vary based on the business and industry. There are specific fundamental roles and responsibilities that all sales executives must carry out:
- Maintain a good relationship with the existing customers and look for new opportunities to extend the customer base for future sales.
- Have a thorough knowledge of the company and its product and services range so that they can be presented in the best possible way to the customer and at any business events.
- Keep track of the sales and order information for accounting purposes.
- Maintain a good relationship with the suppliers to ensure that the orders are delivered on time to the customers.
- Communicate with the prospective and existing customers to deliver the information they may need about the company’s product and services.
- Help the customers understand the features of the products and how they can benefit from using them.
How much salary does a sales executive in India draw?
The sales executives’ salary may vary based on the work experience, qualification and organisation. Sometimes, the pay may also vary based on the location. For example, a sales executive in a metropolitan city like Mumbai or Bangalore may earn a higher salary than a smaller company in a city like Kanpur or Udaipur. But, generally, the starting salary for an inexperienced sales executive may range from Rs. 2.4 lakhs to Rs. 3 lakhs or more.
Your salary may increase as you grow in your career, gain experience, and take senior roles like sales manager, regional manager, area manager, sales director, etc. The salary could be up to Rs. 25 lakhs per annum or more for senior sales personnel.
Qualifications required to be a sales executive
Like any other job, to be a sales executive, you must have specific minimum qualifications like:
- A degree with a specialisation in sales, advertising, marketing, or business administration
- A basic bachelor’s degree in any field with a certification course in communication
- Depending on the industry you want to work in, the employer may have specific educational requirements. For example, if you want to work as a sales executive in the media or entertainment industry, the employer may look for a candidate with a degree in media studies.
A sales executive job is a lucrative option, and it is a vital part of the organisation. So, it would be no mistake to assume that there will always be a demand for skilled sales executives. If you are looking to find a job as a sales executive, you must keep abreast with the latest industry trends to have the edge over others.